The Great Books Guide 2017 has just been released by BookTrust as part of Children’s Book Week, a celebration of reading for pleasure at schools.
This year the list includes picks for the youngest bookworms aged three and under, and is a great starting point for parents wanted to get reading with their child.
Each one is selected for their ability to excite and engage, rather than being a “best ever” or “must-read” list, and all of them were published in the last year.
Here are the books that made the cut:
- A Busy Day For Birds by Lucy Cousins (Walker)
- Baby’s First Days: On The Move, illustrated by Mojca Dollinear (Pat-a-Cake)
- Baby’s Very First Play Book: Shop Words by Fiona Watt, illustrated by Stella Baggott (Usborne)
- Babytime For Little Rabbit by Jorg Muhle, illustrated by Eve Erikson and translated from German by Catherine Chidgey (Gecko Press)
- Everybunny Dance! by Ellie Sandall (Hodder Children’s Books)
- Fruit in Suits by Jared Chapman (Abrams)
- Kiki and Bobo’s Sunny Day by Yasmeen Ismail (Walker)
- Lois Looks For Bob At The Park by Gerry Turley (Nosy Crow)
- Making Faces: A Book of Emotions, photographs by Molly Magnuson and book design by Alyssa Nassner (Abrams Appleseed)
- Quiet! by Kate Alizadeh (Child’s Play)
- Super Rabbit by Stephanie Blake (Gecko Press)
- This Bear, That Bear by Sian Wheatcroft (Templar)
You can find out more about these books, as well as see the full Great Books Guide 2017, at the BookTrust website
Our 10 best books of baby’s first year
12 of the best new books to read with 4-5 year olds
Why books are a key part of our bedtime routine