The Great Books Guide 2017 has just been released by BookTrust as part of Children’s Book Week, a celebration of reading for pleasure at schools.
Each title is selected for their ability to excite and engage, rather than being a “best ever” or “must-read” list, and all were published in the last year.
There are 60 books selected, broken down into age groups. The list below are the picks for reception aged children (4-5 year olds) and are a good starting point for parents trying to decide what to read at bedtime.
- A Day With Dogs by Dorothee de Monfreid (Gecko Press)
- Anywhere Farm by Phyllis Root, illustrated by G. Brian Karas (Walker)
- Danny McGee Drinks The Sea by Andy Stanton, illustrated by Neal Layton (Hodder Children’s Books)
- Grumpy Frog by Ed Vere (Penguin)
- I’m Going To Eat This Ant by Chris Naylor-Ballesteros (Bloomsbury)
- Izzy Gizmo by Pip Jones, Illustrated by Sara Ogilvie (Simon & Schuster)
- Nanette’s Baguette by Mo Williems (Walker)
- Scoot! by Katie Blackburn, illustrated by Jim Smith (Faber & Faber)
- Superbat by Matt Carr (Scholastic)
- The Bad Bunnies’ Magic Show by Mini Grey (Simon & Schuster)
- The Cave by Rob Hodgson (Francis Lincoln Children’s Books)
- The Cow Who Fell To Earth by Nadia Shireen (Penguin)
You can read more about these books, as well as see the full Great Books Guide 2017 at the BookTrust website